Monday 21 April 2008

Introduction to Kitchen Sink Dramas

So what's the attraction of kitchen sinks? I'm certainly not in the least domesticated, but what I am is very interested in people and particularly in how people leave evidence of their personalities and approach to life in their domestic environment.

My original thought was to get someone to choose their favourite room in the house (the room they choose would also say something about them) but when I thought about it carefully, since these photographs are destined for an exhibition, I felt that some continuity (ie all kitchens) might make for a more cohesive set of photos and the nuances and impressions of the "absent" people be more striking - there is some kind of level playing field by chosing the same space for all.

I've already written a Proposal document for this project and won't repeat it word for word here, but here are the outlines of my idea:

What? - photographs of kitchens, trying to capture the atmosphere of the room/area, make people think about everyday life and how we operate, look for clues about the sort of person whose space has been photographed
Why? - interior environments are clues to the kind of people who live in and more universally, comment on the human condition (this is easier to spot after several glasses of red)
How? - Medium Format - stepping out of my comfort zone and wanting to further my experience of photography. I'm too used to taking too many photos at once. I need to slow down and think.
Where? - Anywhere, any kitchen I can get access to, I'm happy to photograph. I'm not fussy. Obviously some kitchen will have a wow factor, but I'm not necessarily looking for this - the photography of the mundane is an interest of mine - which is another way of saying the my photography is mundane.
Influences:
Wow, this could go on forever but these leap immediately to mind:
Bert Teunissen (see his book Domestic Landscapes)
John RJ Taylor - his book, Ideal Home
James Ravilious - his intimate documenting of a rural community - some amazing domestic interiors
William Eggleston - making the ordinary less ordinary (sounds like a strapline for a budget fashion-house)
Stephen Shore
Jeff Wall
Brenda Beban

More will occur to me and I'll let you know when they do. Will also be uploading some photos of their photos that I find particularly inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home