Sunday 25 May 2008

Progress Check (2)


I have been reviewing my project and have focussed on a few things I need to do this week. I'm making a nice, concise list for myself to encourage me to work through it systematically.

1. Another Shoot - My project, as far as "my terrace" goes, is complete but I haven't stopped shooting to try to capture more kitchens. This week I'm down to visit a friend of a friend in Salford to shoot her kitchen.

2. Display options & Artist's Statement - need to think carefully about this and possibly consult other artists. I have got hold of some mountboard, just in case I decide to frame conventionally and I've got spare inks in for my A3 printer as I'll need to print my own images to hand in for the assignment generally. I need to think about the text that will accompany my images, as discussed earlier in the blog it's crucial to explain the project well and in a way that will "get people on board".

3. More research - there is an exhibition in Bradford at the Image Gallery - Bob (Blackburn Project - see link) told me about it and it appears very relevant to my work. I have a photography job to do in Bradford on Tuesday so will call in the gallery on my way back. Also saw a film last night "The Savages" and lots of the lingering shots on highways or incidental domestic details reminded me of Stephen Shore. I refer to him in my disseration and realise I have really looked at him in detail after mentioning him as an influence at the start of the blog. Same with Martin Parr and others so there's some desk work to be done here. Also under research, I probably need to mention some of the films that feed into my interest in the more subtle and mundane shots that arise from domestic interiors. (loaded with resonance, personal memories, pathos, - June Bug, The Return, et al.

Off for a bike ride whilst the weather is okay - will get on with the above whilst forecast rain falls!

Am posting this picture I took a couple of days ago - not a kitchen but a cafe with the reflection of a Quay in the window. I like the domestic details though - picture, decorative plastic/paper flowers, table decorations, all mixed in with the hull of a yacht - the interior with sky for a ceiling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home