Thursday 1 May 2008

Progress Check (1)

I have shot 4 more kitchens in my terraced row since Tuesday. Up to now, I have seen only the digital test shots which are obviously landscape in format. I generally crop them square and they lose something because of this - usually bits and pieces on windowsills. This makes me wonder if I will like the film format. I know there will be more in shot above the sink and maybe this will give the shots more allure. I'm sending 5 films off together this evening.

On Tuesday in college, I was speaking to Richard & John about presentation. They felt my suggestion was okay - a grid format for the pictures with small amounts of text about each shoot in a small scale replica grid next to it. Richard suggested maybe comments about who lived there etc, but since this wasn't part of the bargain when I asked people if I could shoot their kitchen, I'll can't follow that one up. However, where there is some history attached to the properties which doesn't relate to present owners, I feel okay with sticking that in the grid.

I intend to look at the genre of "kitchen-sink" culture to link this to my interest in the photography of the mundane. Kitchen sink dramas seem to revolve around real life problems, mostly of working class people (not exclusively - I think Bouquet of Barbed wire touches on the kitchen sink genre and those characters were middle class) but I need to look into this genre more systematically. Will do so and post later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home