Thursday 5 June 2008

Foamboard & Lightbox Thoughts

I have been surfing the net for tips on mounting photographs to foamboard. There is no shortage of advice and most people recommend fixing the image with spraymount and then cutting to the required size.

Tried this but got traces of the sticky spraymount on my metal ruler and the blade started to stagger a bit towards the end. Have now fixed another image on the foamboard and am going to leave it overnight, clean by ruler with spirit or similar and see if it goes any better tomorrow. Although I can't imagine that spraymount actually dries, it might be better cut later rather than immediately after appliation. I hope so. The smell gives me a headache too, if I'm going ahead and mounting all my images, I'm going to do the spraying outside so I'll need a decent day.

Got the lightbox off Richard which is great. Now have to figure out how to make it part of the exhibition. Fix to the wall (no fixings and quite heavy - though everything to do with DIY seems impossible to me so I'll ask Paul, Pat's hubby, if he has any ideas - he's the handiest man I know) or perhaps have a small table or shelf fixed to the wall??? All needs to be carefully considered.

Had a good look at my transparencies - I think I'll only be able to get 12 onto the lightbox - 2 A4 sheets of six 6 x 6 cm.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Singleton said...

Having spent yesterday afternoon on my knees at my worktable( landing carpet ) cutting the first 12 window mounts I sympathise. I am cutting foam for some of my stuff and find you can buy it ready cut in A sizes so that helps if you use full sheets of photo paper. Secondly I use a scalpel to cut it once you have mounted the blade without needing hospital treatment they are great. Portfolio sells the for about a fiver and until you have one you don't realise how much sharper they are than even a fresh stanley/craft knife.

6 June 2008 at 08:59  
Blogger Bob Singleton said...

I hate to spend lots of your money - but - Richard has persuaded me to show a light box as well.

Now I had one of my own bought in the Jessops closing down sale but if you have to spend a lot making some fixings have a look at light boxes mine is quite light made of plastic and can run on batteries plus it has those pear shed hole on the back so you can wall mount it and a plastic see through clip to hold the negs/trannies to it.

6 June 2008 at 09:24  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home